Sr. Cost Accountant
Location: Marathon City, WI
The Senior Cost Accountant provides support to Operations and Finance for cost accounting, related controls, reporting and analysis. This role has primary responsibility for all maintenance and update activities required to support and ensure accurate inventory costs in SAP ERP system. This role will partner cross functionally to provide variance reporting and analysis, metrics and KPIs, and collaborate on cost savings initiatives
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for leading the costing process. This includes working closely with the Director of Cost Accounting, sales, procurement and packaging engineering to develop and maintain standard costs, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Analyze the impact of changes driven by markets, production or process on materials, labor and overheads.
- Manage production variance reporting, investigate large discrepancies and trends in material usage, efficiency and labor.
- Lead/Contribute to cross functional projects focused on process/system improvements, increased efficiencies and driving out waste to improve business profitability.
- Participates in annual budget process: determination of labor and overhead rates, standards setting and review, etc.
- Execute and validate monthly costing run by analyzing bill of material components and moving average costs.
- Provide top tier customer reporting and communication.
- Monitor, measure and refine KPIs, metrics and operational performance.
- Prepare cost related ad hoc reporting and analysis as requested, and assist with special projects.
- SAP FICO super-user, responsible for costing set-up, maintenance and update activities in SAP ERP system.
- Partner with other functions to ensure accuracy and control of master data: Item Master, Bills of Material, Routings, Specifications and Inventory valuation and postings.
- Support and back-up pricing and quoting functions.
Education and Experience:
BA in Accounting, Finance or Business with 3-5 years’ experience in cost accounting or financial analysis, preferably within a manufacturing environment.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Solid understanding of accounting systems and procedures
• Firm grasp of planning, budgeting and cost control concepts
• Robust analytical skills with the ability to provide actionable data
• Strong computer skills: MS Office Suite, advanced level Excel.
• Experience with SAP or other major ERP system.
• Professional interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced and confidential environment
• Motivated team player capable of working independently
• High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
Office setting, with some exposure to manufacturing and warehouse operations.
The position requires long periods of sitting at a desk, computer work, with some walking and occasional light lifting in the office, plant or warehouse.