Quality Assurance Supervisor
Location: Medford, WI
Job Status: Full Time
Oversees quality systems, inspection and testing at Medford, WI to assure compliance and conformance with relevant requirements for federal and state regulations, SQF, customer and internal quality standards, policies, programs, specifications, and functions. The QA supervisor will collaborate with plant operations to operate the Medford plant in a safe, efficient and profitable manner.
Responsible for supervision of Lead Quality Technicians, Quality Technicians, Lab Technicians and Cheese Graders. Ensures all testing equipment and procedures conform with standard requirements for ingredients, processes and products. Leads the plant’s quality programs, including Preventive Controls/HACCP, Food Defense, internal and external audits, customer complaints and quality certifications.
Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Draws on familiarity with a wide range of food safety and food quality practices and procedures. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. The work hours are primarily day time (1st shift), however, the position requires flexibility and adjusting working hours to carry out duties on all shifts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- SQF Practitioner and Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)
- Responsible for supervising quality services, including GMP compliance, weight control, package integrity, customer complaints, hold/release, labeling, allergen controls, specifications, supplier monitoring, in-process material, finished products, certificates of analysis, sanitation, pest control and environmental monitoring to ensure that quality standards are achieved and sustained.
- Plan and assign work of subordinates.
- Maintain discipline, morale and harmonious relations among subordinates.
- Investigate and adjust personnel problems within area of responsibility.
- Effectively recommend as to hiring, promotions, and termination.
- Communicates, implements, and sustains compliance and conformance with relevant Quality system policy, programs, procedures and associated changes for quality services and other systems as needed.
- Responsible for compilation and maintenance of quality records.
- Support, develop, recommend and administer quality programs and procedures for Quality Improvement.
- Apply Key Performance Indicators as needed
- Conduct periodic reviews of quality services and other systems as needed.
- Develop and/or adapt quality equipment to meet quality control standards, make suggestions as needed to improve associated quality procedures, standards and equipment to facilitate work and sustain quality.
- Collaborate with sanitation and sanitary design teams to assure compliance and conformance to requirements.
- Team Leader for CAPA investigation of food safety and quality complaints received from customers.
- Team Leader for critical decisions made accurately, quickly and definitively in a fast-paced environment.
- Team Leader for food safety and quality audits by customers, third parties, and others.
- Member of plant recall team, food safety team, food defense team.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new products, processes, equipment and facility inspection criteria and procedures.
- Assist in the development and execution of Quality training programs to assure proper training of all personnel.
- Effectively manage all assigned projects, including planning, scheduling and directing of activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate with plant personnel, customers, auditors, and regulatory agencies.
- Advanced understanding of analytical skill sets to direct or supervise accurate analysis of product and lab data; effectively apply proficient problem solving and root cause analysis techniques.
- Team building skills.
- Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Food Science or equivalent education and work experience is required.
- Two to four years QA experience in field, laboratory, or production facility quality control and/or quality assurance in a food processing and manufacturing operation.
- Ability to effectively supervise direct reports.
- Ability to achieve and maintain certification in Preventive Controls/HACCP.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to effectively apply Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Office, Microsoft PowerPoint, and SAP management system.
- Plant Manager: direct reporting line for plant operations and quality activities.
- Corporate Quality Manager: direct reporting line for quality management systems
Work environment involves moderate risk of discomforts which require special safety precautions, e.g. working around moving machinery in the production facility, handling of hazardous materials and sanitation chemicals. Protective clothing or gear such as goggles, gloves and shoes many be required.
Work requires some physical strain such as standing and walking in production facility, lifting of moderately heavy items such as test equipment and product cases. Other physical demands include climbing, crouching, and reaching.
** Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.