Location: Marathon City, WI
Marathon Cheese Corporation is the leader in custom cheese packaging. Staying innovative for our customers is what keeps us moving. As technologies in packaging and distribution have changed over the years, we have innovated together to deliver on our promise of cutting edge packaging. Marathon Cheese is looking for a candidate with the expertise, creativity and drive to develop great packaging.
This position is responsible for managing new packaging development projects, and the improvement of existing packaging and packaging processes. The project activities include: packaging concept design and evaluation (feasibility, cost, ergonomics), refinement and testing of new packaging and materials, data collection and analysis, project timeline development and management, development and maintenance of specifications, and development of cost estimates. The Packaging Engineer must successfully interact with packaging vendors, R&D, marketing, sales, supply chain and customers. All this activity must be managed in a pro-active manner to assure that product quality and safety is not compromised.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and develop new packaging concepts to satisfy unmet customer/consumer needs. Drive business growth through emerging technologies.
- Work in multifunctional teams with sales/marketing, supply chain, R&D, vendors and customers to commercialize new and improve existing packaging
- Must have strong project management and organizational skills to be able to manage multiple projects and meet established timelines
- Develop cost estimates for new product/packaging programs
- Prepare and execute plans for the monitoring and testing of various packaging/product tests
- Provide support to Operations; identify machine/package material interface opportunities and work with suppliers to address
- Support the development and qualification of new packaging systems.
- Log and track material quality issues in the QMS system. Drive quality improvement initiatives with material suppliers.
- Maintain regulatory compliance documentation for food contact packaging materials
- Identify, quantify, test and execute cost savings projects
Education and Experience
- B.S. Degree in Packaging Engineering
- 2-5 years of experience with packaging materials/equipment in the food industry
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to apply fundamental engineering principles for the evaluation and optimization of Marathon packaging
- Thorough knowledge of flexible films, pressure sensitive labels, reclose technology and corrugated designs used for consumer goods packaging
- Working knowledge of the equipment and processes used to fill or create flexible (flow wrap/stand up pouches) and corrugated packaging
- Ability to use current PC-based software (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Artios CAD, TOPS, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as customer specifications, technical procedures and regulations
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Demonstrates drive and commitment
- Demonstrates adaptability
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Displays team commitment
- Project management
- Uses technical and functional expertise
Operates in a demanding, fast-paced, people-oriented manufacturing environment with frequent changes, interruptions, and multiple project assignments. Works with a variety of people including sales, marketing, vendors, operations and customers.
Required Work Schedule
Standard business days and hours. Flexible to attend meetings or important functions that may occur during off hours, weekends, and holidays to meet organizational initiatives. Travel, overnight trips, and multi-site support will be required. Estimated up to 10% travel per year.
Required to sit, stand, walk and climb stairs frequently. Many need to lift or pull up to 50 pounds occasionally.
** Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.